2012, AER, 11 (1), 010101, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/AER2011038
Urban Middle-School Science Teachers Beliefs about the Influence of Their Astronomer-Educator Partnerships on Students’ Astronomy Learner Characteristics
Published 23 January 2012
© 2012 The American Astronomical Society
KEYWORDS and PACS
Accepted 02 January 2012
Published online 23 January 2012
- Brickhouse, N. 1990, “Teacher Beliefs About the Nature of Science and Their Relationship to Classroom Practice,” Journal of Teacher Education, 41, 53.
- Bryan, L., and Atwater, M. 2002, “Teacher Beliefs and Cultural Models: A Challenge for Science Teacher Education Programs,” Science Education, 86, 821.
- Cochran-Smith, M. 2000, “Blind Vision: Unlearning Racism in Teacher Education,” Harvard Educational Review, 70, 157.
- Connolly, L. P. 1997, “NAS Gives Rise to ASTRO,” Mercury, 26, 6.
- Corbin, J. M., and Strauss, A. L. 2008, Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, United Kingdom: Sage.
- Ennis, C., and McCauley, M. 2002, “Creating Urban Classroom Communities Worthy of Trust,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, 34, 149.
- Fraknoi, A., and Zevin, D. 2003, “Ten Years of Project ASTRO,” Mercury, 32, 12.
- Fraknoi, A., Bennett, M., and Richter, J. 1998. “Project ASTRO: A Successful Model for Astronomer/Teacher Partnerships” in New Trends in Astronomy Teaching, ed. L. Gougeuenheim, D. McNally, and J. R. Percy, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gibbs, M. G., and Berendson, M. 2007, “Effectiveness of Amateur Astronomers as Informal Science Educators,” Astronomy Education Review, 5, 114AERSCZ000005000002000114000001.
- Gross, S. 1993, “Early Mathematics Performance and Achievement: Results of a Study Within a Large Suburban School System,” Journal of Negro Education, 62, 269.
- Herwitz, S. R., and Guerra, M. 1996, “Perspectives, Partnerships, and Values in Science Education: A University and Public Elementary School Collaboration,” Science Education, 80, 21.
- Linn, M. C., Shear, L., Bell, P., and Slotta, J. D. 1999, “Organizing Principles for Science Education Partnerships: Case Studies of Students' Learning About Rats in Space and Deformed Frogs,” Educational Technology Research and Development, 47, 61.
- Maryland State Department of Education. 2010, Maryland School Performance 2010 Report, Baltimore: MSDE.
- Miranda, R. J. 2010, “Urban Middle School Teachers' Beliefs about Science Learner Characteristics: Implications for Astronomy Curriculum,” Astronomy Education Review, 9, 010117AERSCZ000009000001010117000001.
- Munn, M., Skinner, P.O., Conn, L., Horsma, H. G., and Gregory, P. 1999, “The Involvement of Genome Researchers in High School Science Education,” Genome Research, 9, 597.
- National Research Council. 1996, National Science Education Standards, Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Nespor, J. 1987, “The role of beliefs in the practice of teaching,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, 19, 317.
- Pajares, M. 1992, “Teachers' Beliefs and Educational Research: Cleaning Up a Messy Construct,” Review of Educational Research, 62, 307.
- Prime, G., and Miranda, R. J. 2006, “Urban Public High School Teachers' Beliefs about Science Learner Characteristics: Implications for Curriculum,” Urban Education, 41, 506.
- Rutherford, F. J., and Ahlgren, A. 1990, Science for All Americans, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Settlage, J. 2007, “Demythologizing Science Teacher Education: Conquering the False Ideal of Open Inquiry,” Journal of Science Teacher Education, 18, 461.
- Steele, C. 1999, “Stereotype Threat and Black College Students,” Atlantic Monthly, 284, 44.
- Wheeler, G. 1998, “The Wake-Up Call We Dare Not to Ignore, Science, 279, 1611.