2012, AER, 11 (1), 010106, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/AER2012007
Space to Grow: LCOGT.net and Improving Science Engagement in Schools
Published 14 May 2012
© 2012 The American Astronomical Society
KEYWORDS, PACS, and IPC
astronomical telescopes, astronomy, computer aided instruction, educational institutions, physics computing, physics education, teaching, Laboratory exercises, 7–9 (or middle school), 10–12 (or high school), Research into teaching/learning
Accepted 18 April 2012
Published online 14 May 2012
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 1989, Project 2061: Science for all Americans, Washington, DC: AAAS.
- Ainley, J., Kos, J., and Nicholas, M. 2008, “Participation in Science, Mathematics and Technology in Australian Education, ACER Research Monograph 63,” retrieved October 31, 2011, from http://research.acer.edu.au/acer_monographs/4/.
- Aronson, E., Blaney, N., Stephan, C., Sikes, J., and Snapp, M. 1978, The Jigsaw Classroom, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Bailey, J. M. 2007, “Development of a Concept Inventory to Assess Students' Understanding and Reasoning Difficulties About the Properties and Formation of Stars,” Astronomy Education Review, 6, 133.
- Barmby, P., Kind, P. M., and Jones, K. 2008, “Examining Changing Attitudes in Secondary School Science,” International Journal of Science Education, 30, 1075.
- Bybee, R. W. 1997, Achieving Scientific Literacy: From Purposes to Practical Action, Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Bybee, R. W., and DeBoer, G. 1994, “Research on the Goals for Science Education,” in Handbook of Research on Teaching and Learning of Science, ed. D. L. Gabel, New York: Macmillan, 357.
- Bybee, R. W., and Fuchs, B. 2006, “Preparing the 21st Century Workforce: A New Reform in Science and Technology Education,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43, 349.
- Collaboration for Astronomy Education Research. 1999, Astronomy Diagnostic Test, http://solar.physics.montana.edu/aae/adt/. Modified for Southern Hemisphere 2002 by the University of Sydney, further modified 2004 by Charles Sturt University.
- Danaia, L., and McKinnon, D. H. 2007, “Common Alternative Astronomical Conceptions Encountered in Junior Secondary Science Classes: Why is This so?” Astronomy Education Review, 6, 32AERSCZ000006000002000032000001.
- Darling-Hammond, L., Wei, R. C., Andree, A., Richardson, N., and Orphanos, S. 2009, Professional Learning in the Learning Profession: A Status Report on Teacher Development in the United State and Abroad, United States: National Staff Development Council and The School Redesign Network, Stanford University, retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.learningforward.org/news/NSDCstudy2009.pdf.
- European Commission. 2007, Science Education Now: A Renewed Pedagogy for the Future of Europe, Brussels, Belgium: European Commission, Directorate General for Research.
- Fitzgerald, M. T., Criss, J., Lukaszewicz, T., Frew, D. J., Catelan, M., Woodward, S., Danaia, L., and McKinnon, D. H. 2012, “RR Lyrae Stars in the Globular Cluster NGC 6101,” Publications of Astronomical Society of Australia, 29, 72, early online edition http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=AS11046.pdf.
- Frew, D. J., Stanger, J., Fitzgerald, M., Parker, Q. A., Danaia, L., McKinnon, D. H., Yean, V., Guerrero, M., Hedberg, J., Hollow, R., Bor, Y., Colman, I., Graham-White, C., Li, Q., Mai, J., Papadakis, K., Picone-Murray, J., and Vo Hoang, M., 2011, “K 1–6: An Asymmetric Planetary Nebula with a Binary Central Star,” Publications of Astronomical Society of Australia, 28, 83.
- Goodrum, D., Druhan, A., and Abbs, J. 2011, The Status and Quality of Year 11 and 12 Science in Australian Schools, Canberra: Australian Academy of Science.
- Goodrum, D., Hackling, M., and Rennie, L. 2001, The Status and Quality of Teaching and Learning of Science in Australian Schools, Canberra: Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs.
- Harris, K. L., Jensz, F., and Baldwin, G. 2005, Who's Teaching Science? Meeting the Demand for Qualified Science Teachers in Australian Secondary Schools, Melbourne, Australia: Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne.
- Millar, R., and Osborne, J. 1998, Beyond 2000: Science Education for the Future, London: King's College London, School of Education.
- National Research Council. 1996, National Science Education Standards, Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Global Science Forum (OECD). 2006, Evolution of Student Interest in Science and Technology Studies Policy Report, retrieved November 28, 2011 from http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/16/30/36645825.pdf.
- Osborne, J., and Collins, S. 2000, Pupils' and Parents' Views of the School Science Curriculum, London: King's College London.
- Osborne, J. and Dillon, J. 2008, Science Education in Europe: Critical Reflections, London: Nuffield Foundation.
- Pandey, A. K., Upadhyay, K., Ogura, K., Sagar, R., Mohan, V., Mito, H., Bhatt, H. C., and Bhatt, B.C. 2005, “Stellar Contents of Two Young Open Clusters: NGC663 and 654,” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 358, 1290.
- Prince George's County Public Schools. 2012, “A Guide to Cooperative Learning,” retrieved February 21, from http://www.pgcps.org/~elc/learning1.html.
- Rosing, W. 2010, “LCOGT Part 1,” retrieved March 25 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwYDvbuluKw.
- Sjøberg, S., and Schreiner, C. 2010, The ROSE Project: An Overview and Key Findings, http://roseproject.no./network/countries/norway/eng/nor-Sjoberg-Schreiner-overview-2010.pdf
- Slater, S. J., Slater, T. F., and Lyons, D. J. 2010, Engaging in Astronomical Inquiry, New York: W.H. Freeman Publishing and Company.
- Slater, S. J., Slater, T. F., and Olsen, J. K. 2009, “Survey of K-12 Science Teachers' Educational Product Needs from Planetary Scientists,” Astronomy Education Review, 8(1), 010101.
- Slavin, R. 1986, Using Student Team Learning, 3rd ed., Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press.
- Stocklmayer, S., Rennie, L., and Gilbert, J. 2010, “The Roles of the Formal and Informal Sectors in the Provision of Effective Science Education,” Studies in Science Education, 46, 1.
- Tytler, R. 2007, Re-imagining Science Education: Engaging Students in Science for Australia's Future, ACER Monograph 5, Camberwell, Victoria: Australian Council for Educational Research Press.
- Tytler, R., Osborne, J., Williams, G., Tytler, K., and Cripps Clark, J. 2008, Engagement in STEM Across the Primary-Secondary School Transition: Opening up Pathways, Canberra: Australian Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.