2013, AER, 12 (1), 010101, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/AER2012042
Astro 101 Students' Perceptions of Science: Results from the Thinking About Science Survey Instrument
Published 15 February 2013
© 2013 The American Astronomical Society
KEYWORDS and PACS
Accepted 04 January 2013
Published online 15 February 2013
- Adams, W. K., Perkins, K. K., Dubson, M., Finkelstein, N. D., and Wieman, C. E. 2005, “The Design and Validation of the Colorado Learning Attitudes about Science Survey,” in PERC Proceedings 2004, eds. J. Marx, P. Heron, and S. Franklin, Melville, NY: American Institute of Physics, 45 doi:10.1063/1.3248478PHTOAD000062000010000041000001.
- Arendale, D. 1997, “Supplemental Instruction (SI): Review of Research Concerning the Effectiveness of SI from the University of Missouri-Kansas City and Other Institutions from Across the United States,” in Proceedings of the 17th and 18th Annual Institutes for Learning Assistance Professionals: 1996 and 1997,” eds. S. Mioduski and G. Enright, Tucson, AZ: University Learning Center, 1.
- Ausubel, D. P. 1966, “An Evaluation of the BSCS Approach to High School Biology,” The American Biology Teacher, 28, 176.
- Cobern, W. W. 1996, “Worldview Theory and Conceptual Change in Science Education,” Science Education, 80, 579.
- Cobern, W. W. 2001, “The Thinking about Science Survey Instrument (TSSI)—SLCSP 151,” http://www.wmich.edu/slcsp/slcsp151/tssi-v2.pdf.
- Cobern, W. W., and Loving, C. C. 2002, “Investigation of Preservice Elementary Teachers' Thinking about Science,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39, 1016.
- Coe, R. 2002, “It's the Effect Size, Stupid: What effect size is and why it is important,” paper presented at the British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Exeter, UK.
- Cohen, J. 1988, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Crouch, C. H., and Mazur, E. 2001, “Peer Instruction: Ten Years of Experience and Results,” American Journal of Physics, 69, 970.
- Dagher, Z. R. and BouJaoude, S. 1997, “Scientific Views and Religious Beliefs of College Students: The Case of Biological Evolution,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 34, 429.
- Deming, G., and Hufnagel, B. 2001, “Who's Taking ASTR 101?” Physics Teacher, 39, 368PHTEAH000039000006000368000001.
- George, D. and Mallery, P. 2009, SPSS for Windows Step by Step: A Simple Guide and Reference, Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
- Gould, S. J. 1997, “Nonoverlapping Magisteria,” Natural History, 106, 16.
- Gray, K., Adams, W. K., Wieman, C. E., and Perkins, K. K. 2008, “Students Know What Physicists Believe, but They Don't Agree: A Study Using the CLASS Survey,” Physical Review Special Topics–Physics Education Research, 4, 020106.
- Hansson, L. and Lindahl, B. 2010, “`I Have Chosen Another Way of Thinking': Students' Relations to Science With a Focus on Worldview,” Science & Education, 19, 895.
- Hartung, J., Knapp, G., and Sinha, B. K. 2008, Statistical Meta-Analysis with Applications, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Helve, H. 1991, “The Formation of Religious Attitudes and World Views: A Longitudinal Study of Young Finns,” Social Compass, 38, 373.
- Hudgins, D. W., Prather, E. E., Grayson, D. J., and Smits, D. P. 2006, “Effectiveness of Collaborative Ranking Tasks on Student Understanding of Key Astronomy Concepts,” Astronomy Education Review, 5, 1.
- Irzik, G. and Nola, R. 2009, “Worldviews and Their Relation to Science,” Science & Education, 18, 729.
- Kearney, M. 1984, World View, Novato, CA: Chandler and Sharp Publishers, Inc.
- Kilbourn, B. 1980, “World Views and Science Teaching,” in Seeing Curriculum in a New Light: Essays from Science Education, eds. H. Munby, G. Orpwood, and T. Russell, Toronto, ON: The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 34.
- Koltko-Rivera, M. E. 2004, “The Psychology of Worldviews,” Review of General Psychology, 8, 3.
- LoPresto, M. C. 2010, “Using Visual Assessments and Tutorials to Teach Solar System Concepts in Introductory Astronomy,” Astronomy Education Review, 9, 010101AERSCZ000009000001010101000001.
- Lord, F. M., and Novick, M. R. 1968, Statistical Theories of Mental Test Scores, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Mooney, C., and Kirshenbaum, S. 2009, Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future, New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Otero, V., Finkelstein, N., McCray, R., and Pollock, S. 2006, “Who Is Responsible for Preparing Science Teachers?,” Science, 313, 445. [MEDLINE]
- Otero, V., Pollock, S., and Finkelstein, N. 2010, “A Physics Department's Role in Preparing Physics Teachers: The Colorado Learning Assistant Model,” American Journal of Physics, 78, 1218AJPIAS000078000011001218000001.
- Perkins, K. K., Adams, W. K., Pollock, S. J., Finkelstein, N. D., and Wieman, C. E. 2005, “Correlating Student Beliefs with Student Learning Using the Colorado Learning Attitudes about Science Survey,” in PERC Proceedings 2004, eds. J. Marx, P. Heron, and S. Franklin, Melville, NY: American Institute of Physics, 61.
- Prather, E. E., Rudolph, A. L., and Brissenden, G. 2009, “Teaching and Learning Astronomy in the 21st Century,” Physics Today, 62, 41.
- Prather, E. E., Rudolph, A., and Brissenden, G. 2011, “Using Research to Bring Interactive Learning Strategies into General Education Mega-Courses,” Peer Review, 13, 27.
- Prather, E. E., Rudolph, A. L., Brissenden, G., and Schlingman, W. M. 2009, “A National Study Assessing the Teaching and Learning of Introductory Astronomy. Part I. The Effect of Interactive Instruction,” American Journal of Physics, 77, 320AJPIAS000077000004000320000001.
- Prather, E. E., Slater, T. F., Adams, J. P., Bailey, J. M., Jones, L. V., and Dostal, J. A. 2004, “Research on a Lecture-Tutorial Approach to Teaching Introductory Astronomy for Non-Science Majors,” Astronomy Education Review, 3, 122.
- Proper, H., Wideen, M. F., and Ivany, G. 1988, “World View Projected by Science Teachers: A Study of Classroom Dialogue,” Science Education, 72, 547.
- Redish, E. F., Saul, J. M., and Steinberg, R. N. 1998, “Student Expectations in Introductory Physics,” American Journal of Physics, 66, 212.
- Rudolph, A. L., Prather, E. E., Brissenden, G., Consiglio, D., and Gonzaga, V. 2010, “A National Study Assessing the Teaching and Learning of Introductory Astronomy. Part II. The Connection between Student Demographics and Learning,” Astronomy Education Review, 9, 010107AERSCZ000009000001010107000001.
- Säther, J. 2003, “The Concept of Ideology in Analysis of Fundamental Questions in Science Education: A Review with Selected Examples from Norwegian Curricula and Textbooks,” Science & Education, 12, 237.
- Smolicz, J. J. and Nunan, E. E. 1975, “The Philosophical and Sociological Foundations of Science Education: The Demythologizing of School Science,” Studies in Science Education, 2, 101.
- Wallace, C. S., Prather, E. E., and Duncan, D. K. 2012, “A Study of General Education Astronomy Students' Understandings of Cosmology. Part V. The Effects of a New Suite of Cosmology Lecture-Tutorials on Students' Conceptual Knowledge,” International Journal of Science Education, 34, 1297.
Figures (click on thumbnails to view enlargements)