2003, AER, 2 (1), 46, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/AER2003003
Activities-based Astronomy: An Evaluation of an Instructor’s First Attempt and its Impact on Student Characteristics
Published 28 April 2003
© 2003 William Straits. Copyright assigned to the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc.
KEYWORDS and PACS
- Bonwell, C. C., & Eison, J. A. 1991, Active Learning: Creating Excitement in the Classroom, ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report No. 1, Washington D.C.: The George Washington University, School of Education and Human Development.
- Boyer Commission on Educating Undergraduates in the Research University. 1998, Reinventing Undergraduate Education: A Blueprint for Americas Research Universities, Princeton, NJ: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- Coffey, A., & Atkinson, P. 1996, Making Sense of Qualitative Data, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Deming, G. L., Miller, S. T., & Trasco, J. D. 1997, Cooperative Learning Activities in Introduction Astronomy for Non-Science Majors, College Park: University of Maryland.
- Ebert-May, D., Brewer, C., & Allred, S. 1997, Innovation in Large Lectures—Teaching for Active Learning, BioScience, 47(9), 601.
- Erlandson, D. A., Harris, E. L., Skipper, B. L., & Allen, S. D. 1993, Doing Naturalistic Inquiry; A Guide to Methods, Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications Inc.
- Hemenway, M. K., Straits, W. J., Wilke, R. R., & Hufnagel, B. 2002, Educational Research in an Introductory Astronomy Course, Innovative Higher Education, 26(4), 271.
- Hufnagel, B., Slater, T., Deming, G., Adams, J., Brick, C., & Zeilik, M. 2000, Pre-Course Results from the Astronomy Diagnostic Test, Publ. - Astron. Soc. Aust., 17(2). http://www.atnf.csiro.au/pasa/17_2.
- Johnson, D. W., Johnson, R., & Smith, K. 1991, Active Learning: Cooperation in the College Classroom, Edina, MN: Interaction Book Co.
- Miller, J. E., Groccia, J. E., & Wilkes, J. M. 1996, Providing Structure: The Critical Element, New Dir. Teach. Learn., 67, 17.
- National Research Council. 1996, From Analysis to Action, Undergraduate Education in Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology, Report of a Convocation, Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- National Science Foundation. 1996, Advisory Committee for the National Science Foundation Directorate for Education and Human Resources, Shaping the Future: New Expectations for Undergraduate Education in Science Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology, Washington, D.C.: National Science Foundation.
- Norman, G. R., & Schmidt, H. G. 1992, The Psychological Basis of Problem-Based Learning: A Review of Evidence, Acad. Med., 67(9), 557.
- Orzechowski, R. F. 1995, Factors to Consider before Introducing Active Learning into a Large, Lecture Based Course, J. Coll. Sci. Teach., 24, 347.
- Rankin, M. A. 1998, Importance of Instructional Development in the College of Natural Sciences, Proceedings of the Discovery Learning Conference, Austin: University of Texas.
- Schmidt, H. G. 1993, Foundations of Problem-Based Learning: Some Explanatory Notes, Med. Educ., 27, 422. [ISI] [MEDLINE]
- Schunk, D. H. 1994, Self-Regulation of Self-Efficacy and Attributions in Academic Settings, in Self-regulation of Learning and Performance: Issues and Educational Implications, D. H. Schunk & B. J. Zimmerman (Editors), Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Svinicki, M. D. 1998, A Theoretical Foundation for Discovery Learning, Advances in Physiology Education, 20(1), 4.
- Wilke, R. R., & Straits, W. J. 2001, The Effects of Discovery Learning in a Lower-Division Biology Course, Advances in Physiology Education, 25(2), 1.