2010, AER, 9 (1), 010105, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/AER2009044
The Impact of Stereo Display on Student Understanding of Phases of the Moon
Published 23 March 2010
© 2010 The American Astronomical Society
KEYWORDS and PACS
Accepted 19 February 2010
Published online 23 March 2010
- Abbott, D. S., Saul, J. M., Parker, G. W., and Beichner, R. J. 2000, “Can One Lab Make a Difference?” American Journal of Physics, 68, S60AJPIAS0000680000S1000S60000001. [ISI]
- Ambrose, B. S., Heron, P., Vokos, S., and McDermott, L. C. 1999, “Student Understanding of Light as an Electromagnetic Wave: Relating the Formalism to Physical Phenomena,” American Journal of Physics, 67, 891.
- Bailey, J. M. and Slater, T. F. 2003, “A Review of Astronomy Education Research,” The Astronomy Education Review, 2, 20.
- Barnet, M., Ymagata-Lynch, L., Keating, T., Barab, S. A., and Hay, K. E. 2005, “Using Virtual Reality Computer Models To Support Student Understanding of Astronomical Concepts,” Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 24, 333.
- Bell, R. L. and Trundle, K. C. 2008, “The Use of a Computer Simulation to Promote Scientific Conceptions of Moon Phases,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 45, 346.
- Cockburn, A. and McKenzie, B. 2002, “Evaluating the Effectiveness of Spatial Memory in 2D and 3D Physical and Virtual Environments,” Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems: Changing Our World, Changing Ourselves (Minneapolis, Minnesota).
- DeBuvitz, W. 1990, “The Importance of Scale Drawing or: Let's Not Blow Things Out of Propotion!” Physics Teacher, 28, 604.
- Hansen, J., Barnett, M., Makinster, J., and Keating, T. 2004, “The Impact of Three-Dimensional Computational Modeling on Student Understanding of Astronomy Concepts: A Qualitative Analysis,” International Journal of Science Education, 26, 1555.
- Hubona, G. S., Wheeler, P. N., Shirah, G. W., and Brandt, M. 1999, “The relative contributions of stereo, lighting, and background scenes in promoting 3D depth visualization,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 6, 214.
- Küçüközer, H. 2008, “The Effect of 3D Computer Modeling on Conceptual Change About Seasons and Phases of the Moon,” Physics Education, 43, 632. [Inspec]
- Küçüközer, H., Korkusuz, M. E., Küçüközer, H. A., and Yurumezoglu, K. 2009, “The Effect of 3D Computer Modeling and Observation-Based Instruction on the Conceptual Change Regarding Basic Concepts of Astronomy in Elementary School Students,” Astronomy Education Review, 8, 010104AERSCZ000008000001010104000001.
- Lindell, R. S. and Olsen, J. P. 2002, “Developing the Lunar Phases Concept Inventory,” Proceedings of the 2002 Physics Education Research Conference, ed. S. Franklin, J. Marx, and K. Cummings, New York: PERC Publishing.
- Lopez, R. E. and Hamed, K. 2004, “Student Interpretations of 2-D and 3-D Renderings of the Substorm Current Wedge,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 66, 1509.
- McDermott, L. C., Heron, P. R., Shaffer, P. S., and Stetzer, M. R. 2006, “Improving the Preparation of K-12 Teachers Through Physics Education Research,” American Journal of Physics, 74, 763AJPIAS000074000009000763000001.
- McDermott, L. C. and the Physics Education Group at the University of Washington 1996, Physics by Inquiry, Vol. II, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Morin, P. J., Leigh, J., van Keken, P., and Johnson, A. 2003, “The State of the GeoWall,” Eos Trans. AGU, 84(46), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract ED31A–01.
- Schnepps, H. and Sadler, P. 1987, A Private Universe (video), Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Science Media Group.
- Trumper, R. 2000, “University Students' Conception of Basic Astronomy Concepts,” Physics Education, 35, 9.
- Trundle, K. C., Atwood, R. K., and Christopher, J. E. 2002, “Preservice Elementary Teachers' Conceptions of Moon Phases Before and After Instruction,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39, 633. [ISI]
- Trundle, K. C., Atwood, R. K., and Christopher, J. E. 2007, “A Longitudinal Study of Conceptual Change: Preservice Elementary Teachers' Conceptions of Moon Phases,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 44, 303.
- Turner, N. E., Lopez, R. E., Hamed, K. M. 2003, “Effectiveness of GeoWall Technology in Conceptualizing the Earth-Moon System,” Eos Trans. AGU, 84(46), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract ED31A–06.
- Volbracht, S., Domik, G., Shahrbabaki, K., and Fels, G. 1997, “How Effective are 3D Display Modes?” Proceedings CHI, 97, 540–541 (March.).
- Ware, C. and Franck, G. 1996, “Evaluating Stereo and Motion Cues for Visualizing Information Nets in Three Dimensions,” ACM Transactions on Graphics, 15, 121. [Inspec] [ISI]
- Winn, W., Stahr, F., Sarason, C., Fruland, R., Oppenheimer, P., and Lee, Y. 2006, “Learning Oceanography from a Computer Simulation Compared with Direct Experience at Sea,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43, 25.